By Nicole Leech, Military Spouse
On the heels of Memorial Day, this time of year brings BBQ‚Äôs and flip-flops, warm weather and fun.¬† It also arouses our patriotic spirit.¬† Memorial Day, Flag Day and the Fourth of July Holidays bring the flag d√©cor out at all the stores.¬† But before you raise your flag, do you really know the rules of engagement?
Flag Day is always June 14th.¬† It is a day for all Americans to show respect for our flag.¬† Along with the Eagle, Uncle Sam, and the Liberty bell, the flag is a symbol of our country and freedom.¬† It stands proudly on the moon.¬† It waves happily at arenas above ballgames.¬† It rose above the ashes of the World Trade Center. It lies gratefully over caskets of fallen soldiers.
Our flag stirs pride and honor in our hearts.¬† This Flag Day let us take time to honor the flag with proper display and regard.
Proper Display of our Flag:
- It is flown from sunrise to sunset.
- It should not be flown at night without a light.
- It should not be flown in inclement weather.
- The flag is flown at half-staff for tragedies or death. It is called half-staff on land, and half-mast at sea.
- All state and other flags should be flown below the American flag.
- On a pole the ‚ÄòUnion‚Äô or stars on blue, should be at the top.¬† If flown flat, as if from a window the ‚ÄòUnion‚Äô is on the upper left.
- The flag should never touch the ground.
- Torn or faded flags should be retired.
There is a special ceremony when retiring old, faded or torn flags.¬† Your local VFW at www.vfw.org, American Legion www.legion.org, or local Boy Scout organization www.scouting.org will gladly accept your retired flags and perform the ceremony.¬† Use the links to find contact information in your local area.
Enjoy our national holidays. ¬†Feel the pride for our freedoms and those who serve and have served.¬† Fly our flag with respect.¬† We at SargesList are thankful for all our military members, families and veterans.¬† We fly our flag proudly in your honor.¬† We are grateful for all you have given and will continue to give to protect our country.