More and more I am hearing “we’re in this together.” Even though we’re in tumultuous times, I am grateful for how difficult times brings people together and I am hopeful for a revival of the American spirit. Having just celebrated one of my favorite holidays and the reflection on all that we have to be grateful for, even if we have lost a loved one or are suffering ourselves, it is often in the giving to others that we appreciate all that we have.¬† Grandma always said “count your blessings” and here at SargesList we are so very thankful for the friends we have made and our success in our first year.¬† We are thankful for our over 4900 Facebook friends and 360 Twitter followers.¬† We are also thankful for our many partners.
It’s easy to look around and see many people, communities and homes in need, and also how much we can do to give a hand up (not a hand out). Even if we can‚Äôt find a way to give with our wallets, donating our time can be just as valuable (especially for children).¬† We have found the following amazing organizations that make a difference in our world.¬† We hope that one of these worthy non-profits touches your heart this holiday season (or year round) to give in a way that is meaningful for you and fits your time and financial resources.
- Animal Humane Society www.animalhumanesociety.org Compassionately and responsibly creating a more humane world for animals.
- Habitat for Humanity www.habitat.org Building and repairing simple, decent, affordable houses with those who lack adequate shelter.
- Animal Place www.animalplace.org Extending compassion to all life with a special emphasis on farmed animals.
- Feeding America’s Hungry Children www.feedingahc.org Relieving hunger to as many of our nation‚Äôs precious children as we can.
- Action for Healthy Kids www.actionforhealthykids.org Reducing and preventing childhood obesity and undernourishment for healthier kids.
- Adopt a Classroom www.adoptaclassroom.org Increasing opportunities for student success by empowering teachers with community partners and funds to purchase resources for the classroom.
- All God’s Children www.allgodschildren.org Shine your light. Embrace a Child. Change their world. Providing care for Orphans world wide through Mission Trips and Adoption.
- Christmas Box www.thechristmasboxhouse.org Preventing child abuse and improving the quality of life for children who have been abused or neglected.
- Samaritan’s Purse www.samaritanspurse.org Providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world.
- Military Pets Foster Project www.netpets.org Coordinating foster care for all pets for Military personnel.
- Wounded Warriors Family Support www.wwfs.org Providing support to the families of those who have been wounded, injured or killed during combat operations.
- Homes for Our Troops www.homesforourtroops.org Assisting severally injured Servicemen and Servicewomen and their immediate families by coordinating the building of an accessible home.
- Support Our Troops www.supportoutroops.org Americans bolstering morale and well being of our active duty troops and their families through effective programs.
- Armed Forces Relief Trust www.afrtrust.org Assisting the military aid organizations by providing a single vehicle to accept contributions that benefit the men and women of the Armed Forces and their families.
- Any Soldier www.anysoldier.com Collecting and distributing mail and care packages to soldiers who receive little to no mail during deployments.
- Operation Gratitude www.operationgratitude.com Lifting morale by sending care packages to individual Soldiers, Sailors, Airman, and Marines deployed in harm‚Äôs way, to their children left behind and to Wounded Warriors recuperating in Transition Units.
- American Cancer Society www.cancer.org Working locally and internationally to save lives and create a world with less cancer and more birthdays by helping people stay well, get well, by finding cures and fighting back.
- American Red Cross www.redcross.org Premier emergency response organization that as part of a world-wide movement offers neutral humanitarian care to victims of war, and natural disasters, and aiming to prevent and relieve suffering.
- Doctor’s Without Borders www.doctorswithoutborders.org International medical humanitarian organization working with nearly 70 countries to assist people who survival is threatened by violence, neglect or catastrophe.
- Teacher’s Without Borders www.teacherswithoutborders.org Connecting teachers to information and each other to create local change on a global scale.
While this list is short, we hope it inspires you to be thankful what you have and uncover what you can give to others and get a huge reward of knowing your doing your part to contribute to the greater good.