As SargesList kicks off 2014, we’re looking forward to thanking military-friendly charities that we and our readers love on our blog each month. Since we have a special affection for dogs, it was easy to pick this month’s charity to kick off our monthly highlight.
Dogs on Deployment
Many of us in the military community have personally experienced or know someone who has experienced uncertainty about their pet’s care as deployments approach. Far too often, beloved pets end up unnecessarily re-homed into bad situations or given up to shelters.
Dogs On Deployment was founded in 2011 to help service members find care for their best friends, and is responsible for maintaining a large online network that connects volunteers with service members and their animals.
Dogs On Deployment is a 501(c)(3) national non-profit that actively promotes responsible, life-long pet ownership by military pet owners by advocating for military pet owner rights. They also focus on providing educational resources and granting financial assistance for military pet owners during times of emergency.
To date, they have successfully boarded over 300 pets while their owners endured deployments!
If you’re an animal lover, joining Dogs on Deployment’s is easy and you can make a huge difference in a service member and their pet’s life.
Here are just a few of the great things Dogs On Deployment handles each day:
- Supports active duty, reservists, National Guard Members, Coast Guard during deployments, required command training, PCSing (under certain conditions) and hospitalization or treatment for Wounded Warriors, PTSD or other injuries sustained through military service.
- Supports honorably discharged veterans during homelessness when being assisted by the Veteran Affairs Department or other nationally recognized veteran housing assistance program, hospitalization or treatment for Wounded Warriors, PTSD or other injuries sustained through military service.
- Assists spouses of members meeting our requirements during emergency crisis such as illness, pregnancy, bankruptcy/eviction and more.
Dogs on Deployment is also able, when all qualifications are met, to facilitate financial grants to Active duty, reservists, National Guard Members, Coast Guard and veterans to assist with the following:
- Emergency veterinarian expenses exceeding $500
- Spay and neuter
- Vaccinations and microchipping
- Overseas PCSing expenses
- Emergency kenneling
- Monetary assistance for help with pet supplies
Thank you Dogs on Deployment for everything you do for our four-legged friends!