Taking Your Pet Overseas


If you are taking a pet with you on your move overseas, there are a number of helpful resources that will help you through the red tape. The key to any PCS move, domestically or overseas is to plan ahead. When transporting your pet from the states to a foreign country, there are requirements to be met, which may vary according to country such as tests, vaccination updates, paperwork and inspections.

According to the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) and APHIS (Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service) at https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/importexport/animal-import-and-export/travel-with-a-pet, as soon as you know where you are headed and when, you should talk to your local Veterinarian or your base VTF (Veterinary Treatment Facility) about your pet’s needs prior to travel.  A licensed Veterinarian must issue a health certificate to all animals traveling by air within 10 days of transport. You can get health certificates at U.S. Army Veterinary Treatment Facilities worldwide.

Additionally, you can contact your local APHIS Veterinary Services service center (VSSC). The VSSC has a list of their locations by State and your State location will be able to guide you through the process of exporting your pet.  For access to the VSSC State list, go to: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/downloads/nies_contacts/sc.pdf

Just as important is the re-entry of your pet back to the U.S.  There may be specific import requirements, depending on where you are returning from.  For questions on pet importing, you can contact the National Import Export Services (NIES) Call Center: 301-851-3300.  Press Option 2 for Live Animals.

For more information and resources that can help, visit the sites below:

1. PCSPets.com – https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=http://www.pcspets.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/PCSing-with-a-Pet.pptx&hl=en_US

2. PetsForPatriots.com – https://petsforpatriots.org/pcs-and-your-pet/

%d bloggers like this: